Need some help and advice when gardening this October? The experts at Starke Ayres have these handy tips to get you on your way.
• Summer hanging baskets are ideal for a splash of colour, even if space is limited. There are infinite colour combinations and a huge range of plants to choose from. The cheapest option can be achieved by buying a plastic hanging pot or coir basket and selecting some summer seedlings or succulents. Choose a good quality soil mixture such as Keith Kirsten Patio and Tub mix and feed weekly with
• Apply Kelpak or Culterra Multikelp to the roots or
• Summer is the season of gardening to celebrate the warmer days and shorter nights. Let your garden burst into life, parading vivid colours and glowing sweetly with delicate fragrances. The right time to start deciding what to plant. Your summer
• Follow sound gardening practices by taking care of your soil. Use Compost, Gold Dust, Vermiculite, Perlite, Stockosorb and Zeolite to enhance your soil condition and structure. Healthy Soil = Healthy plants. Feed your plants this October with Talborne Organics 3:1:5. Organic plant nutrients from natural sources are formulated to supply
• With spring and summer often comes the desire to plant things. If you are someone who enjoys growing and preserving your own food but you’re also someone who just doesn’t have the outdoor garden space that you need, we’ve got a great selection of fruit and vegetables you can plant in suitable containers. Consider planting Tomatoes, Strawberries, Gooseberries, Lemons, Blueberries, Apples, Pears, Oranges, Nectarines, Pomegranates or Figs.
• Trees and shrubs are a treasured investment that could spend a lifetime with you. Growing them in pots or in garden beds they need to be fertilised regularly. With the right care and proper application of Just Organic Crumble you can ensure that they grow healthy and strong. The pleasure of picking fruit from your own trees could not be more satisfying. Win a Just Organics hamper when you find JO hiding in one of the 10 KG Just Organics
• This is snail season – protect newly planted seedlings by sprinkling some organic Ferramol or using an Eco snail trap or Slug and snail barrier tape.