Our expert garden gurus at Starke Ayres, West Coast Village have some handy hints on how to get the most of your garden this December.
• Add water retaining products to container plants or flower beds. This will increase the water holding capacity of the soil. Look out for products marked with waterwise signs, such as Stockosorb, Palm Peat, Vermiculite and Gold Dust, FloSTIM and Urbanscapes Green Cubes.
• Plant Hydrangeas for Summer in shady areas in the garden. Feed your Hydrangeas with Starke Ayres Hydrangea Food. To change their colour from pink to blue, use Starke Ayres Acid Loving food.
• Plant compact annuals in pots, hanging baskets and foreground beds that need a little facelift: Calibrachoas, Alyssum, Portulaca, Marigolds, Hypoestes phyllostachya and Dianthus. Feeding with Talborne 6:3:4 organic granules will ensure that they ower throughout Summer.
• Plant culinary herbs right outside your kitchen. Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Sage and Perennial Basil can be planted in containers and will provide a constant supply of fresh herbs that can be used in the kitchen. Use Stockosorb as the water retaining agent in the pots.
• The air in our homes has been shown to contain harmful toxins which ultimately end up in our bodies. Whether the toxins are from building materials, paint, out-gassing carpets, dust, or flame retardants, the levels of these toxins in the air can be reduced. These following plants can reduce many air pollutants including formaldehyde, microbial pathogens, benzene and microbial pathogens. Chlorophytum comosum (Spider plant), Spathiphyllum (Peace Lilly), Sanseveria spp. (Snake plant), Ficus elastica (Rubber plant) and the Scindapsus aurus (Golden pathos). Feed indoor plants with a liquid fertiliser such as Seagro, Nitrosol or Sea Secret.
• SAVE WATER while keeping your bathroom smelling hygienic and fresh! Simply spray Wee Pong over the toilet water after use. Enzymes break down the ammonia in urine. No ammonia = No smell!
You only need two sprays after the first use and the bacteria starts working immediately.
1 bottle = 600 sprays = 300 wees!
• Smelly greywater? Give it the Tank Pong treatment! Simply pour it into the greywater tank. There is no need to wait to use the water. The formula acts instantly and combats bad smells on contact. The product is not harmful to pets, humans or plants. It is 100 % environmentally friendly.
Starke Ayres, West Coast Village
Tel: 021 554 8450